Being Disconnected for a Week

First off, I want to start with an apology for being off the grid the past two weeks. I feel terrible about missing my weekly post and updates on my social media sites, but between a vacation, hospital visit and some family issues, things have been a bit hectic around here. I meant to have this post up the week after the cabin, but life got in the way, so here we are.

A couple of weeks ago we spent the week at my husbands family cabin in Bridgeport, CA. Such a beautiful area near Yosemite and Mammoth Parks, with so much to offer between hiking, fishing and just relaxing. The one downfall, no cell service or internet.




It turns out, what I thought was going to be an excruciating week, actually turned into a lovely, quiet week. Which I needed SO desperately. Not having my phone to check every 3 minutes was actually really refreshing. I guess I never realized how exhausting being connected really is.

When we left the cabin, I thought I would be so ecstatic to get back to everything, but I actually didn’t turn my phone until we got near the house. We drove 5+ hours before I even turned my phone off airplane mode.

The cabin is located near Bridgeport, California. This teeny tiny town has a population of less than 800 and has one main street, which you can easily miss in the blink of an eye. With a couple motels, a general store, a bakery, a candy shop, and a Jolly Cone shop, Main Street is the heart of the town.


We had a family dinner at the Bridgeport Inn one night. Doesn’t look like much, but the food was so delicious. (I’m told the beef here is especially delicious! Must be all the happy free-ranged cows everywhere!) We were even able to have a yummy fish dinner one night, with all the fish everyone caught. One thing Aaron’s family does right, the food! Everything is always so tasty. And fried rice for breakfast is quickly becoming one of my favorite Marumoto traditions!

We spent a lot of time outdoors during this trip. We took a lot of walks and did a lot of fishing. (Well, Aaron did. I didn’t do any fishing this trip.) His family has a lot of fishing spots they like to go to, so we made sure to try our luck at several different place. We drove around to different lakes and ponds, and just really took advantage of the beautiful weather and scenery. Although we were caught in the middle of a couple wild fires (we were never in danger), which caused for a very hazy day, we still really lucked out with the fantastic weather all week. It’s such a special place that is really untouched by mankind, it’s just so beautiful and serene.


Most of our time spent at the cabin was down time. Which meant a lot of reading, coloring, games and puzzles. I finally finished a book I have had rented out from the library for almost a year now (yes, I’m terrible and owe them $2.05 now!), and even had time to get through another book. We colored in adult coloring books, worked on 1000 piece puzzles and even took a couple family naps! It was lovely.

Right alongside the cabin is Robinson Creek, which Lucy had a blast playing in. We all know Lucy loves the water, but I didn’t expect her to like the freezing cold creek water. I was truly impressed. She loved dipping her feet in the water and really enjoyed being in the inner tube with me. She couldn’t get enough of the water rushing by and had such a good time sitting in the tube with me. She didn’t want to get out!


We even got some alone time during the week. I don’t know if it was the elevation (we were at almost 9,000 ft) or all the family time, but Lucy was extremely tired all week. Every time we even got in the car, she fell asleep almost instantly. Which meant Aaron and I got to do a few things alone while she napped in the car with grandma. It’s been a while since we’ve been able to get a photo, just the two of us, so we made sure to snap a couple when we could. (Even though Lucy makes the photos SO much cuter!) We even got to go out to lunch ALL BY OURSELVES and got to spend a little bit of one on one time together, which was desperately needed. Finding time for just the two of us isn’t easy these days, so we made sure to take advantage of it while we could.


It was such a nice week, we were all sad it was coming to an end. I wasn’t ready to go back to reality and I know Aaron was sad to leave his family, but all good things must come to an end. We had such a good week and we made so many new family traditions. I can’t wait to go back again next year.


Saturday morning we woke up early to have breakfast with the family and head home. We are sad to leave everyone, but we were ready to be home. Aaron didn’t sleep well that night due to some abdominal pain, but we didn’t think much of it. He honestly just thought it was gas, but as we drove, the pain got worse and worse. Eventually it got so bad that I had to take over driving. We finally made it home in the late afternoon and Aaron was still not doing well. He kept waiting it out, but the pain was much worse and he was even vomiting a bit of blood. That’s when we decided we had to take him to the ER. Talk about terrible timing. I was really looking forward to a quiet, lazy Sunday, but it was anything but that.

So there we were, 10:30 at night sitting in the ER with a sleeping baby strapped to my chest and a crying husband, doubling over in pain. It was crazy and scary. Aaron had never been in the hospital before, so he was a bit in shock. Not to mention a TON of pain. We still didn’t know what was wrong, so we were all really worried. We had already contacted the family and now we just had to wait for the test results to come back.

The doctor encouraged me to take Lucy home for the night and that she would contact me as soon as they heard anything. It was really hard to leave Aaron alone in the hospital like that, but I knew Lucy needed to get some proper rest. So I said a quick prayer with Aaron, kissed him goodnight, and drove the few blocks home.

We woke up early in the morning and headed back to the hospital. Once we got there, Aaron was already in his own room (with an amazing view of the Golden Gate Bridge, I might add!) and the doctor was in talking with him. Turns out Aaron had two kidney stones. Lucky for him, they weren’t that big, but they were causing him a lot of pain. They gave him pain meds and lots of fluid and told him he just had to wait it out. (Fun fact: Aaron said to me in the depths of his pain, “I think I understand how you felt when you were in labor now.” Close, but not quite the same, buddy! I have had passed two kidney stones and a baby, and I have to say, the baby was much worse!)

Three days later, he was finally discharged and was able to come home. Luckily his mother had come to help me (I seriously would have died without her – thank you Patti!), so when he got home, we were ready for him. Two moms taking care of him, he was in good hands! He rested, kept hydrated and finally started to feel a bit better the next few days.

In the end, everything turned out okay. Aaron came home and rested, and his mom returned home. Things went back to normal, and I got back connected with the social world, at last. Looking back, I am still surprised with how easy it was to disconnect and actually smile at the fact that I [willingly] kept my distance from it all for longer than I had to. Being with family, then having a terrible scare, really showed me that my phone and my social media accounts aren’t what define me and my life isn’t always perfect enough to fit into 140 characters or a single square box. We spend so much time curating our lives online that sometimes we forget to actually live them. I know it’s impossible to disconnect for good, but we should all disconnect for short periods of time with our families. It’s a new tradition I look forward to continuing and I hope I can teach Lucy the importance of it all. How many of you disconnect and how does it make you feel? Was it hard at first or pleasantly easy? I love hearing from you! Like, comment and share!



Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

  • Kelly
    August 30, 2017 at 10:09 am

    We love Bridgeport!

  • chroniclesofgin
    September 3, 2017 at 9:19 am

    Being disconnected can be really good for the soul but we are all so used to WiFi everywhere now.